Lolly Daskal, author of The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness, offers 12 phrases to help anyone resolve any conflict.
- I sense that you’re feeling emotional about this topic. Is that right?
- Let’s take a breather before we think this through.
- Thank you for your candor—I appreciate your feedback.
- I recognize your efforts and hard work.
- Let’s work on this problem and fix it together.
- Tell me more—I want to understand.
- Let’s see what we can do to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
- What can we do to change the situation?
- Yes, you’re completely right.
- I wasn’t aware of this—tell me more.
- I am with you on that.
- How can I support you?
For a brief discussion of how each of these phrases can be uniquely helpful in resolving conflict, read more.