LaRae Quy spent 24 years as an undercover and counterintelligence agent for the FBI. In those posts she not only had to deal with two frequent hobgoblins of personal and organizational effectiveness -- risk and uncertainty – she also had to cope with outright deception.
It’s not the kind of work you can do day in and day out, year after year, without a lot of willpower.
But the good news, according to Quy, is that willpower is not something you’re born with. You can grow and cultivate it.
She has five suggestions for doing that:
- Tackle tough tasks early in the morning.
- Keep the juices flowing by remaining mindful of your vision and goal.
- Control your focus – keep it on what you’re trying to accomplish, not on the obstacles.
- Simplify by routinizing as many decisions as you can.
- Build a bigger, better interconnected brain by meditating.
READ MORE ABOUT WHAT QUY HAS TO SAY ABOUT EACH OF THESE TIPS.